If you’re trying to cut down on the harmful chemicals that you use in your home, one of the best ways to do so is by cleaning with fresh lemons. This decades-old cleaning trick not only makes your home smell great, it also acts as a natural disinfectant to help rid your home of germs. Here are a few ways to clean with lemons.
- Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle coarse salt on the pulp. By using gentle scrubbing motions, you can use this natural combination to clean discolored brass.
- Scrub the grout from between ceramic tile in the shower by sprinkling lemon juice onto an old toothbrush.
- If your microwave looks (and smells) less than fresh, clean it with a lemon. Simply heat ¾ cup of water and two tablespoons of lemon juice just until it almost boils, then let it sit for 10 minutes and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Dilute lemon juice in a spray bottle with water and use it to lightly disinfect countertops.
- Remove stains and bacteria from wooden cutting boards by rubbing as hard as you like with lemon juice and a scrub brush.
- Soak plastic food containers in lemon juice and water in order to remove built-up food odors and stains.